Thursday, July 14, 2011

Summertime

There shall be eternal summer in the grateful heart. 
~Celia Thaxter

I think most of us do love summer, the warmer weather, kids (& grown-ups) on vacation, all the fresh fruit & veggies in season...it's just a more laid back, fun time of year. 


I am fortunate to be off for several weeks every summer during part of the time my kids are on vacation from school.   I use a good part of this time to catch up on all the chores, especially in my garden, that I have not kept up with during the rest of the year.


I am truly thankful for this time off, it means I don't make as much money at my job as I'd like, but it's also a chance to re-group and fact the challenges at new school year at work always brings.

I love having some time to visit with friends, spend time with my kids, catch up on movies, enjoy the outdoors with daily walks with my friend/neighbor.  I am also able to spend time on the crafts and cooking that I enjoy so much. 

One of my favorite times is the 4th of July.  I love decorating the house up in Red, White, & Blue.  Up until last year, our town used to have a big fireworks display "downtown" by the water, which is where I live.  We always had a full house of friends and family over to eat and watch the fireworks.  We could literally see them from our front yard.  Even more fun for us adults, was the people-watching.  Thousands of people would cram downtown to catch a glimpse of this patriotric tradition that I remember from my high school days.

Sadly, with the poor economy, our city decided for the second year in a row, not to have the fireworks display.  The girls still have friends over, but we have definitely pared down our celebration.  This year we did a few of our own little fireworks in the backyard, something my girls choose to spend their own money on.


I still enjoy putting out my little display of decorations, some that I have had for more years than I can remember. 


Hope you all had a lovely 4th of July too!

Happy Thoughts,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my blog, Happy Thoughts to you!