Saturday, February 13, 2010

Accomplishment, one day at a time...

"The best thing about the future is that it comes only one day at a time.” -Abraham Lincoln

I usually try to find a good quote for my blog.  It's sort of a starting point for me, a way to focus and begin.  I love this quote, it makes me stop and think, one day at a time, that's all we have.  Stop worrying and jumping ahead letting yourself get overwhelmed with life.   Dealing with things one day at time, one problem at a time, is the only way for most of us to keep our sanity.

I personally will let everything build up in my mind sometimes, and let myself get completely overwhelmed.  I am learning how to better deal with that.  I kind of have to stop, and literally think about what tasks I have and what order I can do them in.  I'm what I've heard people call, a hummingbird.  I flitter around, starting on project or chore, then without finishing, I'm on  to something else.  I can tell you from personal experience, this is not a good way to accomplish things.  You usually wind up with a lot of half done stuff, and you don't feel any better about things than when you first started. 

I purposely decided to write about this right now, because this week I've been feeling that overwhelming, "how will I ever get it all done?" feeling.  So, I thought if I stopped for a bit, and wrote about it, I might be able to focus and actually be able to accomplish a few things this weekend.

First off, I have hard time taking time to do fun stuff lately.  Money is has been tight too, so I haven't done a lot socially, with friends or my daughter.  I decided, that for Valentine's Day this year, I would take my daughter out for the day and do something fun, rather than buy her a gift.

She was off school on Friday, so I took the day off as well, and we headed out of town to a diner that is owned by one of the band members of Green Day.  My daughter is 14 and she LOVES Green Day.  We also found the mobile cupcake truck that roams the streets of Berkeley selling scrumptious cupcakes, just like an ice cream truck.  What a great business idea...I had to check this out.  It was a good day, if it had not been for the parking ticket I got while we were purchasing our cupcakes, it would have been perfect.  We ended our day by seeing the new romantic comedy, Valentine's Day.  I think I'm pretty lucky that my daughter is still ok with spending the day with her mom.  That could change at any moment.

Now that we've had some fun, it's time for some serious business, like housework, laundry, baking, yardwork, cleaning my disgustingly dirty truck. 
 
I think it's time to make a list, to stop and prioritize.  That's what I will do first.  I think when you  have a lot to do, it helps to be able to check off each task as you complete them.  I have learned that the sense of accomplishment when you do something for yourself, is really quite powerful. I am a visual person, and if I can see a list of things I've finished, it really helps me feel better.  I think it's all part of focussing on the positive.  Look at your list, and notice what has been finished, not what still needs to be done.

Ok, I think I'm on to something here, it's time go make that list and clean that truck.

Wishing you a week of accomplishment and Happy Thoughts,
Lisa

2 comments:

  1. I just started blogging a few weeks ago but I love your blog, you write such touching things. It sounds like you had a wonderful time with your daughter:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable cupcakes! Sound like a fun time with your daughter!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog, Happy Thoughts to you!